This summary has been developed by Alberta Mentoring Partnership.
Mentoring programs only operate with mentors so retaining them is of utmost importance. This needs to be a purposeful and consistent activity.
Key points on the topic:
- Communicate regularly with program mentors to offer support, guidance and ideas (phone, e-mail, etc.).
- Provide mentors with opportunities for ongoing training and development.
- Develop a process to receive mentor feedback and incorporate it into the program.
- Engage in formal and informal recognition activities. Be sure to show the mentors your appreciation and respect.
- Ensure your program is professional and well run. Lack of organization may result in the loss of volunteers.
Learn More: Elements & Toolkits
- Download the Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring™, Third Edition (From: MENTOR – mentoring.org)
- Download the Checklist for Mentoring Programs (From: MENTOR – mentoring.org)