This summary has been developed by Alberta Mentoring Partnership.
Success in a mentoring relationship is undeniably influenced by the individuals who are matched with each other. Making a successful match requires thought and a variety of considerations.
Key points on the topic:
- Establish criteria for how mentors and mentees will be matched. These may include shared interests, location and travel, and cultural background or gender.
- Determine the needs and personal preferences of both the mentor and mentee. Take into consideration personalities, life experiences, interests and cultural background.
- Have a trained staff person who can assist with the challenges mentors may face and work through requests for a new match if the relationship does not work out.
Learn More: Elements & Toolkits
- Download the Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring™, Third Edition (From: MENTOR – mentoring.org)
- Download the Checklist for Mentoring Programs (From: MENTOR – mentoring.org)